Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hannah's Butterfly Birthday

Hannah requested a butterfly birthday this year so the girls and I spent the past week or so crafting butterflies. They had so much fun with the project that I had plenty to fill the house with by Sunday's party.
When I asked Hannah what she wanted to eat at her party I always got the same answer:
"Melon. Melon and little butterfly cakes".
I wasn't so sure the daddies in attendance would be satisfied with a lunch of watermelon and cupcakes, so I pressed, "Isn't there anything else you want?"
"No, jus' melon and butterfly cake".
"Well, others might want something else".
"Oh, that otay, Momma, ofer people can have somfing else. I want melon."
Let me tell you, this was one little girl who thoroughly enjoyed her watermelon and butterfly cupcakes. She also loved being sung to.
For everyone else I made pizza with pepperoni I had cut into butterfly shapes with a cookie cutter.

We did some fun, easy crafts and I really enjoyed how laid back the day seemed.
The kids decided they wanted a canoe ride and Karl happily obliged...
with half a canoe.

For the pinata I merely painted a paper towel tube, filled it with candy, taped the ends shut and taped on wings. Easy to make, HARD to break open!

One of the favorite crafts was the butterfly masks.
I enjoyed watching all the children fluttering about afterward.
What a fun three year old birthday idea Hannah!


2 comments:

  1. I do not know how you do it.
    Shauna's may make messes, but I think what Shauna's do best, is make memories!
    Wow.
    You inspired me to put a little more effort into Zack's birthday this year, but it still couldn't have held a candle to a Shauna party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know 'Lene, that treasure hunt you set up looked pretty awesome. How could a ten year old boy not be impressed?

    I have such fond memories of my own parties growing up and I figure memories of feeling special and loved are going to last much longer than any present money could buy them. Besides, the girls (like me) think it's just as much fun to plan and prepare for the parties as it is to have them.
    Heidi's already looking forward to next year. I think the theme is Princess/Penguin/Pioneer/Butterfly/RobinHood. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete