Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Easy as ABC

Teaching a child to read.
For some unknown reason, that has been my biggest fear as I've thought about homeschooling.
Then Heidi wanted to learn, and I thought she was ready.
We began.
Her with excitement, me with trepidation.
You know what? It's not as hard as I thought.
We have our bumps and rough spots, but she's steadily learning and improving in skill.

My favorite part?
Watching her as she comprehends a word she has read and voluntarily offers a definition or uses it in a sentence.

"Cat" - "We had a cat but it got stomped on by the calves and DIED!"
"take" - "I will take you in the ambulance"
"has" - "the wood has fire on it"
"kiss" - "I'm gonna kiss you!" (this one ends with laughter as she tries to attack me with kisses)
"walk" - "we go for a walk in the hundred acre woods" (her name for our bush)
"rag" -"Oh, like, my clothes are all in tatters"

3 comments:

  1. Oh DEAR! You'd better get that girl some clothes without holes!

    Yes... reading. It has to be one of my biggest accomplishments in life to see one of my own children read.
    The boys are just taking off - I mean the kind where I see a body walking around the house with a book where the head ought to be!
    These guys both love The Happy Hollisters, and Zack is launching into Tom Swift.
    Susanna is just taking off too, and I am really impressed!
    I think I said this already, but starting with Susanna, I am trying "Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons" and I've been thrilled with the way it builds. Olivia has been ready, but I'm waiting until Sue is done (for convenience sake).

    So,
    Reading
    ...and Potty Training.

    My two big (teaching) accomplishments as a Mom!
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potty trainig.
    You got any tricks up your sleeve for that one?
    I have yet to accomplish that feat and am feeling discouraged about it of late.
    Heidi was trained and dry both day and night for quite a few months, last spring she developed a UTI and since then has wet several times a day and at night = LOTS of laundry!
    I understand that whole waiting till one is done before beginning the next sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's great! Bethany basically caught on like fire. I didn't have to actually teach her. She caught on while Josh was learning. She could read before he could. He is reading ok now, but she's like wildfire! Now I am just hoping Nathan knows his abc's before Kindergarten next year. We may have homeschooling in our future too.

    ReplyDelete