Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Kitty Confessions

I thought cats were supposed to have nine lives?
It seems the ones who come our way have used eight and a half of them.
Ever since the Great Mouse Invasion of the Winter of 2009/2010, I have desired a feline on the premises who could keep the outdoor rodent population to a minimum in an effort to keep the indoor rodent population at precisely ZERO. We tried bringing a kitten home, but soon determined a more mature cat would be more likely to survive Ruger's (our dog) curiosity. Kitten was given away. In the past three months we have brought home three nearly grown cats. All of whom have survived Ruger and yet, um, have not survived.
Miriam the First walked with us to the mail box and did not return.
Dandelion became a little too closely acquainted with the tire of the truck.
Miriam the Second discovered sleeping under calves' hoofs not conducive to keeping one's internal organs intact.
Is it really so hard to keep a cat alive?

We do have a stray who's been hanging around for a couple of weeks. I waver between hoping she'll stay and telling her to flee for her life.

The kids are really starting to hope for a pet who lasts more than two weeks.
Yesterday I bought them goldfish.

3 comments:

  1. Stop, STOP! You're KILLING ME!!!!
    AAAAh-HAHAHAHA!

    er, um... I mean;
    I'm SO sorry.
    We got two kitten which have survived longer than I thought they would already. Who would have thunk? Apparently they just may be cut of the mountain cloth.
    They sure keep each other company, warm, and entertained.

    I'm glad we don't have a dog.

    yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your kitty troubles, but oh my....

    Bah ha ha ha ha ha!

    Hope you find a kitty with more than one life left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And today the last of the goldfish died. Guess that's what I get for buying the feeder type. Heidi, ever the optimist said, "Well, we can still look at him... He doesn't do very much though".
    'Lene,I think you're right about the dog thing. Ours, thankfully is an outdoor one with LOTS of room to run. I like having his barks around, it makes me feel a bit more safe when I go on walks and wonder how many bears or wolves are out there waiting to devour me - or something like that. Heidi's been asking for a puppy lately and I REALLY don't think I'm there right now. Maybe someday when she can do most of the work, but for now I remind her that we have Ruger. Uh-oh, new thought, what if he dies, then what will I use as an excuse???

    ReplyDelete