Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ice Towers

I wish I could give credit where it was due for this project, but it's been a couple years since I saw it and tucked it away in my memory banks as a fun activity to do with my kids during our long winters. So to whoever thought this up, thank you! First we found lots of containers, filled them with warm water and food dye, then set them on the front porch to freeze overnight. (This is where we hope food dye doesn't kill our kitty who's been hanging around - knowing our luck, it just might!)
Next morning we brought out a bucket of warm water to dip each container in so we could then pop the ice out and make towers with it.
I poured a bit of the water between each "block" of the ice tower and it worked great as glue to stick it all together.
The towers look a little wobbly but are actually quite sturdy and haven't changed a bit in the few days they've been up. With our forecasted temperatures, I'm sure they'll stick around for awhile.
Now I'm having visions of trying it with buckets and building arches and things to walk through, or spelling things with sticks inside the ice. We'll see how ambitious I actually am!

3 comments:

  1. WAH-HOO! That's awesome!!!
    It was freezing a week ago, then it was dumping loads of snow, and a day later it was all melting off!
    RAIN today (!?)
    I wonder what's next, but don't get me wrong - I like this pretty well because I have running water in my sink at the moment!
    Oh it's the little things I see God's hand in :-)
    All the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running water is a luxury I love, glad you have it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that idea. I just wish it didn't entail me being required to be outside...LOL. No really, I think it's fantastic and I will be trying that one here. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete