Friday, April 24, 2009

Growing in the Greenhouse

I moved the seedlings to the greenhouse today. That may not sound like much, but around here, it's cause for celebration! I started planting last Saturday, and since then my home has been invaded by trays of dirt on the counters and various other high places about the house. High places because I once made the mistake of putting a freshly planted tray on the floor while I searched for another location for it. It lasted approximately 47 seconds before it was recognized as highly desirable snack food and duly consumed.
The seeds needed to be started inside because after our flood it looked more like we had a covered pond/mud pit than a greenhouse. Karl's been working hard before "going to work" all week to pump out the water and raise the floor about 10 inches with rocks and sand. Now that it is possible to walk inside without sinking to your knees in mire, he moved the tables in. All that was left for me to do was move the trays out, and that I gladly did! I'm baking more dirt today, and now that there's a little more elbow room, I'm hoping to get some more seeds started. Maybe next year we'll be able to plant out there from the beginning!

2 comments:

  1. I sure wish we lived closer to you guys, because I have the feeling I would learn LOADS of info from you, and that I would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always come for a visit! Although, I think it would be more like learning alongside us. We really know next to nothing about what we're doing, but we're learning as we go and having fun with the process. Some year we may even make a profit at it, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high for that yet. We'd love to see you if you ever get the traveling bug!

    ReplyDelete