Friday, February 5, 2010

Pregnancy Tip

My girls have been enjoying a mid morning snack of oranges almost every day lately.
Their Daddy always enjoys having meat for lunch.
I find both practices perfectly acceptable... until I'm pregnant. The oranges are always fine, but that meat! My olfactory senses seem to go crazy while pregnant, meaning I smell whatever I cook ALL DAY LONG. And meat, well, it doesn't smell so good when morning sickness is present. In fact, I think it kicks the nauseousness into high gear. What to do? I don't want to be sicker than necessary all day every day, but I do want to please my husband. Somehow, forcing him to be a vegetarian for the duration of my pregnancies doesn't sound very pleasing to me.
I finally hit upon a solution last week. I take the peels from the oranges my girlies are consuming, put them into a pot of water with some cinnamon and let them simmer away all day. My house smells delightful, I only have to smell the meat when I'm right there cooking it, and the added humidity from the water boiling is very welcome in our dry climate.
I've only found one downfall to it so far. I've been thinking an awful lot about cinnamon rolls!

4 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful tip! My nose gets pretty sensitive too. I just browned a pot roast...and it's all over me! Sounds like I need a pot of oranges and cinnamon.

    It's quite fun to think we're going through this one together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana, I'm excited we're experiencing this together too, although I could pass on the morning (or all day) sickness! I hope you're through it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would put vics vapor rub under my nose whenever I cooked meat. It helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Shauna, congratulations!!!!!!!!

    We love to simmer the oranges and cinnamon on the stove all day. I like to add some cloves too.

    ReplyDelete