Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Egg Roll Recipe

For Marcia. These are really pretty simple to make, but I apologize if you're the exacting recipe type. I rarely ever measure so I'll have to give approximates. They freeze very well so I make lots, freeze them individually on a tray, put them in a big bag, and pull them out to defrost and fry whenever I'm in the mood or need a quick meal.

Thinly slice 5-6 chicken breasts (easiest if they are still slightly frozen).
Marinate in about:
1/4 cup soy sauce,
1/8 cup sesame oil
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 TBSP chopped fresh ginger, or 1 tsp. powdered ginger
2 TBSP brown sugar

While marinating (I usually let it sit for 20 min. - 2 hours), shred 1 medium head of cabbage and about three carrots.

Heat a couple tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Brown chicken. When cooked through, add cabbage and carrots and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Cool.

Depending on the size of my cabbage, chicken breasts, how much I snack while cooking, etc., I usually need about two packages of egg roll wrappers. This is the part Heidi likes. Wet 2 edges of the wrapper with a finger dipped in water. Place a spoonful of mix in center of wrap. Fold non-wet corner of wrap over mix, fold in outside corners, then roll to wet corner. You can freeze at this point, or go straight to frying.

Fry in about 1 inch of oil until golden brown, a few minutes on each side.
Leftover wrappers are yummy fried as well!

I got my sweet and sour sauce recipe from my dear friend Momma Bug.
1/3 cup rice vinegar
4 TBSP Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Soy Sauce
1 TBSP ketchup
Bring to a boil while stirring
Add while stirring, 2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 4 tsp cold water. Cook and stir until thick.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!!! They sound really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was all ready to get a new sweet and sour sauce recipe! HA!

    I like the doubling up idea. I always forget that part, but it sure is nice to have food in the freezer on the "rougher" days:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry 'Lene.
    I was thrilled when you posted your recipe. Considered it a stroke of genius, in fact. For some reason I had never thought of making my own sauce, yet I love to do my own stuff and cut out all those nasty additives wherever possible!
    As far as the doubling up goes, there's no one to cook around here but me, and there's days when I simply don't feel like it. I've gotten really good at making three meals at once and sticking two in the freezer. It takes a bit more time when I'm at it, but it sure is nice to just pull something out later - and it cuts down on the dishes to wash too! It almost makes me feel like I'm cheating on the nights I use my freezer meals. =)

    ReplyDelete