Saturday, October 24, 2009

Life in the Frozen North

After a half an hour of preparation in the entrance a couple of weeks ago, the girls and I headed out the door for a walk. Then I realized: there have only been three months, three months, this year in which I have not had to go through this ritual. Which ritual, you ask? Why, the Land of the Frozen North Ritual of course! That of dressing everyone in snowsuits, hats, gloves, scarfs, boot, etc. before ever stepping out the door. It is, I have discovered a complicated art with little ones. Do you dress yourself first, making it more difficult to dress everyone else and risking becoming well overheated in the precess? Or, do you dress the children first, risking everything you put on them coming off by the time you have yourself ready? Then, there's the inevitable, "I have to go potty!" right when everyone's finally ready to head out. I do love the days of summer when walking out the door means just that, you simply GO, but this year, even then there were days of needing a jacket. I guess that's what I get for choosing to move North to be with my man. Every so often he talks of moving farther North to a colder climate and asks if I would be willing to go with him. I remind him I already have.

1 comment:

  1. I totally get it and I didn't move from the wonderfully sunny south! Well, at least not as far as you. I miss my southern BC winters...not so long! I resent getting everyone dressed every winter...at the beginning. Then the routine falls into place. We have a super small entrance that makes it a real trick. Trying to keep little people from falling down the stairs while they fetch clothing, boots and getting them on is a feat in itself. I go for the "getting me ready last" bit. That way I'm not hot and cranky by the time they are all ready. Mine are old enough to get themselves in the van now. So they get ready, oldest to youngest (b/c I have to help the youngest) and go outside as soon as they are ready. Of course when it's minus forty, it may be a little more difficult to convince them it's a good plan!

    ReplyDelete