Monday, May 4, 2009

Dr. Heidi

Aunt Summer does not get to visit often, but when we are privileged with her presence, she makes a lasting impression. Last summer she played doctor with Heidi. And played it, and played it, and played it. I think Heidi was trying to store up two years worth of doctor playing with Aunt Summer in the few days she was here.
Doctor is still one of Heidi's favorite games, and I am often requested to lie on the couch so she can listen to my "heartbeep". In fact, I'm frequently told, "I going to be a doctor when I get older. I going to listen to people's heartbeeps and make them feel better. I NOT going to be a nurse, Aunt Eleana a nurse. Heidi a doctor".
Tonight, I saw some of her healing powers in action. Hannah was fussing and she gently placed her hand on Hannah's forehead, "I think Hannah have a fever, Mama." I agreed and she comforted Hannah, saying, "I make you feel better, Hannah" and stroking her forehead. Then, "I going to throw this fever in the trash!" She wiped Hannah's forehead, marched to the garbage can with great flair, and threw the fever away. "There", she pronounced, "Hannah's all better. Fever is GONE!" I think we could all use a doctor with such simple solutions at times!

No comments:

Post a Comment