Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Help!

I've been making my own yogurt for awhile now, but had a new experience today and am hoping one of you is also a yogurt maker and can help me out. Mostly, I just want to know if it's still safe to eat or not.
I left my crockpot plugged in a half an hour longer than normal, so it got warmer than normal. Also, our home was a toasty 75 degrees today instead of its normal winter 65. When I opened the crockpot, the whole top layer had separated and looked like cottage cheese.
I'm not sure if this is because it got too warm and actually started to become cottage cheese and is therefore safe and just a texture issue, or if something is indeed wrong and it is unsafe to consume. I stuck the whole thing in my fridge while trying to figure out what to do because I'd sure hate to unnecessarily throw out a whole gallon of yogurt. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. still safe to eat although it may have a texture you don't care for. throw it in the blender (after you rinse the dirt out, LOL!) with some fresh or frozen fruit and then freeze in paper cups or popsicle makers or something. It will be fine.
    I make mine in a large mouth Stanley stainless steel thermos and if I leave it too long or the weather is hotter, sometimes it comes out like that but it has never made me sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKYOU! Karl will be thrilled to know that he gets to eat yogurt this week after all! He can go through a whole gallon a week, and would probably eat more if I would make it, so having to throw out a batch would be pretty catastrophic around here. I appreciate your voice of experience!

    ReplyDelete