Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Stone Cottage - The Begining

The dream which was born on dark, long, cold winter evenings has begun its venture into reality. I'm not sure how long it will take to see the fruition of this dream. Knowing the amount of time I have to devote to projects, it will probably be years. Yet, I have begun. For one cannot finish what one has not started. I debated whether I should post about such a long-term project and finally decided that it would be a good way to document my progress as well as provide a bit of accountability and encouragement from my faithful friends. Eichenwald Estate* is soon to have its first stone cottage! T'will be a wee tiny cottage, in keeping with the skills and experience of its builder (in other words, I have but a wee tiny bit of either). It's intended purpose is to be a play house for our wee lassies and possibly have enough space for a bed for overnight guests.
Last night we began by going to the local stone store (aka. Our field) and picking rocks. This is going to be a LOOOOOOONG project! On the bright side, I have plenty of available materials, if I was more ambitious I could build a castle. Heidi was a great helper, but I think I'll get a little farther with the size rocks Karl was gathering.




Hannah sat in her wagon throne and applauded our endeavors.



Heidi found one of Daddy's previous stone piles - easy pickings





We got a nice load then took it home to pile by the building site.





While throwing rocks out of the truck, I commented that some of them were breaking a bit. Heidi responded, "Oh, that's so sad, now they're damaged!". Sometimes her vocabulary astounds even me.






*Eichenwald (say Ike-en-vald) is German for Oak Forest, and is the name we have given our farm and home.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you do have a lot of rocks! I hope you weren't planning to do anything else with that field!
    (I like your purses, especially the brown corduroy one.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andi, Sadly that is our grain field. Thankfully God is gracious and it does produce, but as you can see, this new project of mine has a double benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS sad. I mean, Rock Creek nothing! That is a LOT of rocks!!! I like That Heidi - she reminds me of Zack at that age:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep telling Karl that if we could only get people to purchase stone soup starter from us we'd be rich, but we haven't found a market for our coblestone field so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome to keep as many rocks out of our yard as your willing to come get! ;-) We would be happy to share. Our 'feild' has the same or more rocks, mixed with clay. Quite impossible to till.

    Love, H

    ReplyDelete