Friday, August 28, 2009

Crunchy Granola Bars

My Mom asked me for this recipe, and I thought I would share it with all of you as well. One small problem is that I almost never cook according to a recipe. I may use measuring cups and spoons, but they are more of a method to transfer ingredients from here to there, rather than to actually measure with. If it looks like it would be yummy with more, I fill the cup further. If it looks like it needs less, the cup looks a tad more empty. All measurements, therefore, are approximate. You have been warned.



Crunchy Granola Bars

4 to 5 cups oats

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP honey

Totally optional, but recommended yummy ingredients include:
1 tsp almond extract
1tsp vanilla
1 cup pecan pieces
1cup white chocolate chips

Again optional ingredients, but these are to make you feel better about eating the treats:
1/4 cup flax seed
2 TBSP wheat germ
2 TBSP Wheat or oat bran

I could go on with the add-ins, but I'm sure you get the idea.


  1. Put the oats and whatever other dry ingredients you're using into a large bowl.
  2. Heat butter, sugar, and honey gently, over low heat, until the sugar has dissolved, but don't allow to boil.
  3. Add vanilla and almond extract.
  4. Pour over oat mixture.
  5. Mix, coating oats well.
  6. Place in a greased cookie sheet and pat down with moistened hands.
  7. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
  8. Cut into bars while still warm and allow to cool before removing from pan.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment