Saturday, August 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Hannah!


"Your baby has died" The words from the E.R. doctor came with conviction a couple days after Christmas in 2007. I really don't blame her, the tests and symptoms all pointed to a failed miscarriage. She agreed that as I already had an ultrasound set up the next week I should go ahead and have that done before having a D and C (as if I would consent to anything else!) What followed was a week of sorrow and growth. God pointed me to the book of Job, specifically 1:21, which says, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." (emphasis mine). Job had just lost all he had on this earth yet his response was to worship God and praise His name! That's what I wanted my response to be. I determined to name my baby "Blessed" as a reminder of all He had blessed me with and a memorial to look back upon and praise His name.

On January 3, 2008, I went for an ultrasound "to confirm the baby's death". Instead, the first thing the technician said was, "there's a lively kicking embryo in there!" and turned the screen so I could see. I had to keep wiping the tears from my eyes so I could see, my baby was ALIVE!

The rest of the pregnancy was not without its difficulties. We had a few scares and a hospitalization. Then, during labor, it was a bit disconcerting to hear them paging doctors with , "Brady baby, room 8", and realize that was my room number and my baby they were talking about. By the time my midwife arrived, however, we were happily holding a healthy Hannah. For, Hannah, her Daddy insisted throughout the pregnancy, was to be her name. When I looked it up, I realized it was fitting for it means "God blessed". My little "Baby Blessed" is now Hannah, "God Blessed", and today I thank Him for His blessing and celebrate the first anniversary of her birth - her Life!

With Papa and Grandma Root - minutes old

1 comment:

  1. what a powerful testimony you have! Thank you for being faithful in sharing it. You have blessed me this morning with these words. I'm grateful to see God's grace being lived out in your new little family. Thank you for helping me get to know our bundle of blessings
    (Hannah and Heidi) as best as you can. I love you all very much! And I wish Hannah a marvelous birthday week!

    ReplyDelete