Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Child Training?

Before I had children I used to think that child training was about, well, training the child. Now with nearly three years of parenting to my credit (not much, I know) I am beginning to realize that child training should really, more accurately be called "parent training". For you see, child training is teaching me much. It is teaching me how selfish I am, how lazy, how impatient. The list could go on, but I'll give you the short version; It's teaching me that I am a sinner.
I know that I should stop what I'm doing and take time to discipline, to instruct. I know that consistency is key and that time spent doing what is right now will pay big dividends in the future. But it's not convenient. It's hard. My little one's determination and tenacity really are stronger than mine. I can't do it! I get frustrated. I lose patience. I sin.
I need to be trained. I need to train my thoughts on Jesus. It's not about me, it's about Him. His glory, not my selfish desires (such as wanting to get the dishes done without being interrupted twenty-three times so the water goes cold). I need to respond as He would have me to. Every time. I can't do it on my own. That kind of parenting can only come from my Heavenly Father. I need to saturate myself in His Word, so that His Word, not my own, is what comes out of my mouth. I need to remember His patience and grace to me that I might extend that patience and grace toward my children. If I'm not firmly rooted and growing daily in the Word, how can I teach it to my children? He alone can provide what I need.
I can't do it. He can. I sin. He forgives. Parent training, it's all about faith.

2 comments:

  1. I just prayed for you Shauna. Thanks for sharing your heart. Though we've never met, I have sure enjoyed your blogs and feel like we'd be good friends in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jana! Looking forward to meeting you one day.

    ReplyDelete