Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Heidi's 3rd Birthday Party

The invitations: Not exactly what I had originally planned, but when I realized at 10:00 Saturday night that pictures probably wouldn't get printed before church in the morning, Heidi and I quickly made these. They read. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth... Later He made me, and now I'm turning 3! Please come celebrate God's wonderful creation with me". Heidi loves all things God created, so we made nature the theme of her party. (It ended up being a little heavy on butterflies because I found them easy to make).

I tried making animal ears for the kids to wear, but was told, "Silly Momma, those aren't party hats!" So it was plan B again. These met with approval.


The boys got alligators and the girls dragonfly place cards.



I tried to get some pictures of the girls in their new dresses, but somehow it didn't happen until after nap time, during which Heidi didn't nap, so her hair's all a mess. Of course, she was too squirmy to get anything good.












I had planned to hold most of the party outside, but the mosquitos were too thick, so inside we went for all but the games.
We made terrariums for a craft/favor, but of course I was too busy with that to get pictures.
For supper we had snails (hot dogs wrapped with dough which was then piled on top to make a shell), ants on a log and watermelon served in the shell cut to look like a June bug. Dessert was "sticky rice crispies" as Heidi calls them, cut into butterflies, and ice cream with "dirt" and gummy worms on top. She's not a big fan of cake, so I made something she would like.



Hannah was pleased to be in on all the festivities.




Heidi was in her element. She had looked forward to the "cake" all week, telling me, "The children will come and all the people will sing, happy birthday dear Heidi, happy birthday to you!" They did.




Whoops. Somehow I uploaded the wrong photo, this was supposed to be of the treasure hunt.


Instead we only get one of Heidi hunting on her own.




The presents were very exciting, the best part being the unwrapping. We had to keep repeating that action and all the kids got in on it. Amongst the loot was a bundle of bubble wands which had to be played with right away. I had a nicely soaped floor by the end of the evening.

Hannah making her getaway










At the end of the evening Heidi told me , "That was my most favorite exciting birthday!" Now we jut have to figure out how to do a follow up performance for her real birthday next week.

2 comments:

  1. My goodess! What a fun birthday party! I would have LOVED that as a little girl. You are a fabulous Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great birthday party! She looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete