Monday, March 9, 2009

A Plethera of Pictures - Or - Bowl and Beads

Last week was full of fun art projects. First we made a newspaper bowl because Heidi had heard Daddy and I talking about them and wanted to try it. She liked ripping the newspaper, but the blender was a bit noisy.





The really fun part was squishing the wet, blended newspaper into the bowl. The hard part was waiting a few days for it to dry.




Next, we made dough art beads. First, you mix 1 cup salt and 1 cup flour.



Then, add 1 TBSP oil and mix. Then add about 1/2 cup warm water bit by bit until it's a nice workable dough. Make sure to do lots of squishing through the fingers at this point!





Now you can form into beads. We did hearts, balls and disks, laid them on a cookie sheet and poked holes in them with a skewer.






Hmm... not quite right.







When they were all to our liking, we baked them at 225 until they were dry (about 3 hours)








Next day, we got try try out some new paints.





















And that afternoon, when they were dry, we got to the best part of it all, making necklaces! We used pipe cleaners to string them on, and she was able to do it all by herself.























Our finished products. What fun we have together!













5 comments:

  1. My goodness! What a great momma you are!
    I am inspired (though not quite ready for digging in to a project that messy) ;-P
    I am impressed, though not surprised.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Analene. I'm not so sure about the great momma part. I have a very active little girl who speaks a never ending refrain of "let's do something new" and a whole lot of snow and cold outside. If I don't come up with something new to do... she will. I much prefer cleaning up momma sanctioned messes than the other kind that happen when I'm trying to clean house, change a diaper, or some other exciting event like that! So really, my projects are a way to preserve sanity, not be super-mom. The side benefit is that we have a lot of fun doing them together. My biggest problem is staying ahead of her. Any good craft ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the laugh dear friend!!!
    Sometimes I am so glad for the ways God uses to get my duff in gear and get Him some glory!
    I'm glad for your Heidi;-)

    Believe it or not, I am not crafty. I am a stick in the mud who doesn't like to create a mess to clean up. I have more to learn from YOU! ;-P

    Love and hugs,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, not to ease drop or anything, but here is my web page...

    2homeschool.googlepages.com

    A little way down you will see Homeschool tip (with a picture of anna eatting speggeti) Bellow it is the red words 'more tips and ideas', now oviously not all of them will work for in doors, but some of them might. Note: there are three pages you have to click on the 1 2 3 to get around them.

    Good luck!~Heather

    Ps. my favorite is finger painting with pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Heather, I'll have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete